Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wired Wednesday

Well it's 4:27 a.m.  I'm wide awake and just finished a morning bagel...half with cheese and half with peanut butter...oh, and on a blueberry bagel...weird but OH so GOOD! :)

Today I'm going to blog in a different way.  I read a great devotional this morning on a daily email I receive from Girlfriends in God.  I am going to cut, paste, and revise it to fit the modern mom (me).  :)  Hope it makes sense...
Original Title: Steamed Up in the Kitchen 
My Title: Surviving and Striving
By: Jennifer Cook

Today's Truth "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:41, 42 NIV).

Friend To Friend Sharon (the original author) expalins, "Mary and Martha lived in a home with their brother, Lazarus, in the small Judean village of Bethany.  Bethany was two miles east of the temple in Jerusalem, on the east slope of the Mount of Olives - the final station on the road from Jericho to Jerusalem.  The name, Bethany, meant "house of dates and figs," the perfect place to stop for refreshment.  Mary and Martha's home served as a safe haven and quiet retreat for Jesus as he traveled from place to place."

Now for my version...
I am busy in the kitchen making dinner for our family.  "Addison, check on your brother" I call among the clattering of the pots and pans.  "And where is he?  Your dad will be home in fifteen minutes.  There's just so much to do!"

"I'll make a bowl of fresh food for the cat," Addison says.  "That will give him something to nibble on while we get dinner ready."

As Addison enters the room, I see a glimmer of grace.  Jesus talks through my sons.  By taking care of the cat Addison was hinting at the importance of loving those around you...even the cat.  However, I am annoyed because I asked him to find his brother not the cat food!


"Do not judge and you will not be judged," Jesus taught.  "Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned.  Forgive and you will be forgiven.  Give and it will be given to you."


"The kingdom of God is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his garden," Jesus said.  "It grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air perched in its branches."
Jesus noticed Addison standing in the kitchen.  Looking directly at me through his little four year old eyes, he continued, "The kingdom of God is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount of flour until it worked all through the dough."

Jesus continues teaching about who he was, and what he came to do.  Mesmerized by the Rabbi's words, Addison sinks into his bed at night on occasion eager to read his kid Bible or the kid Bible Dictionary (because it has swords and stuff).  Jesus lowers his eyes and speaks directly to children (I think) - his newest students. 

I wait for Jesus to send Addison back into the kitchen with Bryan where he belongs, but He didn't.  I am confused when Jesus welcomes me into the classroom, but try my best not to become distracted by his presence.  Five minutes pass when I huff, "Where is that boy?"  I angrily stomp into the family room with mixing bowl in hand. 

"Lord," I pray "can't you see that I am all alone in the kitchen?  What is Addison doing?  Don't you care that I have to do all this work by myself.  Where is my husband?  Where are my children?"



"Jennifer, Jennifer" Jesus replies, "don't get so worked up.  Your kids and husband are right where they need to be.  You are so worried, bothered, and distracted with the details of living that you miss the joys of life.  You don't need to work so hard to make a feast for us.  That's not even important.  What is important is that I am here and I have something to share with you.  Addison has figured that out.  He often chooses what is important and I am not going to send him away.  He has joined my classroom to learn - to become a disciple of God's Word - and I am not going to take that away from him."

Today's devotion modified from Sharon Jaynes.  Apparently she has a new book, What God Really Thinks about Women: Finding Your Significance through the Women Jesus Encountered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment